A receiver not named A.J. Green had himself a day in Cincinnati, a couple quarterbacks separated themselves in the search for bye week fillers and some key players are close to return from injury. Here’s who to target in your race to the waiver wire; week eight edition:
Get em while you can:
Marvin Jones, WR, Cincinnati Bengals: owned in 24% of Yahoo! leagues
– If you read Jon Collins’ post a couple weeks ago, you likely won your fantasy matchup this week.
– If not and you’re in one of the 76% of leagues that don’t own Jones, do it now.
– While running train on the Jets defense, Andy Dalton favoured Jones over AJ Green. Big time.
– Don’t get too excited, Andrew Hawkins is returning from the IR and Mohammed Sanu is technically still ahead of Jones on the depth chart, but especially in keeper leagues, he’s a must own.
Aaron Dobson, WR, England Patriots: owned in 23% of Yahoo! leagues
– He’s as inconsistent as they come, but he appears to have cleared himself of Kenbrell Thompkins on the depth chart. Gronkowski is still Brady’s best friend on the field, but he’s growing confidence in “Dropson”.
David Nelson, WR, New York Jets: owned in 0% of Yahoo! leagues
– While the idea of owning a Jets receiver seems to be getting tiresome, Nelson really seems like “the” guy.
– He was targeted a game high 12 times and hauled in eight of them, for his second straight 80 yard game.
Next best thing:
Dexter McCluster, RB, Kansas City Chiefs: owned in 5% of Yahoo! leagues
– McCluster has long been a tempting fantasy option to serious players.
– After leading the Chiefs in receiving yards two weeks in a row, now may finally be the time to own him.
Andre Ellington, RB, Arizona Cardinals: owned in 53% of Yahoo! leagues
– He’s coming off an inflated big week because of big plays against an atrocious Falcons defense.
– Coach Arians believes Rashard Mendenhall will resume the number one role upon return, but the talent in Ellngton can’t remain burried in the depth chart forever.
Mike Glennon, QB, Tampa Bay Buccaneers: owned in 7% of Yahoo! leagues
– The idea of owning Mike Glennon quite frankly frightens me, but it’s becoming harder and harder to ridicule the idea.
– He’s throwing the ball a lot and even the Bucs need to score the odd touchdown.
– Potential bye week plug (-in)
Jason Campbell, QB, Cleveland Browns: owned in 3% of Yahoo! leagues
– He’s getting the week nine start and rightfully so.
– He’s performed well on a Browns team desperate not to use Brandon Weeden.
– Cleveland does not have a run game and has receiving threats in Josh Gordon and Jordan Cameron. He has potential to put up points if he can keep giving the ball to his own team.
Lance Moore, WR, New Orleans Saints: owned in 28% of Yahoo! leagues
– While it’s difficult to expect much from Saints’ receivers due to Jimmy Graham, let alone predict which one will perform, Lance Moore’s done it in the past.
– In his return from an injury sustained in week three, he scored a touchdown.
– He won’t be a big yardage guy, but can be worth the gamble on touchdown or bust.
Worth a shot:
Kenny Stills, WR, New Orleans Saints: owned in 10% of Yahoo! leagues
– Similar to Moore, he can’t really be trusted.
– He does have big play ability though, which has a higher chance of panning out with Drew Brees as quarterback than a lot of other receivers.
Tiquan Underwood, WR, Tampa Bay Buccaneers: owned in 0% of Yahoo! leagues
– Possibly one of those “other receivers”
– With Mike Williams officially on the IR, Underwood is the number two receiver opposite V-Jax.
– As bad as the Bucs are, Glennon is playing ok and throwing the ball a ton.
– A good option in PPR leagues at the very least.
Drew Davis, WR, Atlanta Falcons: owned in 1% of Yahoo! leagues
– With Atlanta officially a bad team now, they’ll be throwing the ball a ton.
– His value will diminish if Roddy White returns at any point, but currently the number three option behind Tony Gonzalaz and Harry Douglas, he’ll produce.
Returning from injury:
Michael Crabtree, WR, San Francisco 49ers: owned in 10% of Yahoo! leagues
– Back in “mid-late November”, now is the time to grab Crabtree and bolster your roster for the playoffs.
Andre Brown, RB, New York Giants: owned in 20% of Yahoo! leagues
– Brown and Brandon Jacobs are both expected back after the week nine bye.
– Both will likely surpass Peyton Hillis (who admittedly looked much better in his second game).
– With Jacobs not accomplishing much, Brown will likely have first dibs at the starting spot for New York.
Jonathan Stewart, RB, Carolina Panthers: owned in 10% of Yahoo! leagues
– Expected to return next week, keep an eye out.
– Carolina has been playing well, but could certainly use a boost from Stewart if they think they’re a playoff team.
Shane Vereen, RB, New England Patriots: owned in 39% of Yahoo! leagues
– According to Belichick, Vereen isn’t too far from returning. Which essentially means he’s a lock to go in week nine.
– While Steven Ridley is coming off his second best game of the season, Vereen will certainly re-gain his spot on top of the committee behind him in New England.