Week five saw Michael Vick leave a game for the second time this season, Matt Schaub have a complete mental breakdown, and Alshon Jeffery deliver his second straight coming out party. Here are the guys you should target in your race to the waiver wire; week five edition.
Get them while you can:
Alshon Jeffery, WR, Chicago Bears: 67% owned in Yahoo!
– Jeffery was referred to by teammate Brandon Marshall as “possibly the best to ever do it”
– After a 10/218/1 week, defenses are sure to start paying more attention to him, but he’s still across the field from Brandon Marshall and gets to play the Giants next week.
– It was his second straight week of 20+ fantasy points, trust him in your lineup until he proves otherwise.
Danny Woodhead, RB, San Diego Chargers: 70% owned in Yahoo!
– Woodhead was already becoming a factor in the passing game and around the goal-line. With Ryan Matthews out indefinitely with a concussion, his workload – and subsequently his success – is sure to increase.
Terrelle Pryor, QB, Oakland Raiders: 29% owned in Yahoo!
– He went 18 for 23 passing against the Chargers for 221 yards two touchdowns, while adding 31 yards on 11 carries.
– This shows not only that he can be an efficient passer, and so he might begin relying on his arm more often than his legs.
Denarius Moore, WR, Oakland Raiders: 64% owned in Yahoo!
– With Pryor establishing himself as a good starting QB in the league his favourite option becomes a good option in fantasy. Moore will remain a high risk play, but the favouritism he receives – along with his big play ability – make him a great player to have.
Zac Stacy, RB, St. Louis Rams: 18% owned in Yahoo!
– After receiving his first career start he’s likely earned the job going forward.
– His 78 yards were nine more than the Rams had in any week so far this year and they came on just 14 carries.
– He won’t play the Jaguars again, but he’s the number one back on a team that needs to establish a ground game.
Heath Miller, TE, Pittsburgh Steelers: 40% owned in Yahoo!
– He missed the first two weeks and has since picked up 105 yards in two games off of nine receptions and has his bye out of the way.
– Any lingering injury issues are sure to be resolved by now, and with the Steelers seemingly suddenly having a ground game, he could become a primary option in the Steelers struggling passing game.
Justin Blackmon, WR, Jacksonville Jaguars: 62% owned in Yahoo!
- The QB situation and general Jacksonville volatility create some confusion here, but, Blackmon simply must be owned. He’s a unique talent on a team that is going to have to pass the ball plenty.
– Dating back to last year Blackmon boasts 57 targets, 30 catches, and three scores over his past five games.
Next best thing:
Keenan Allen, WR, San Diego Chargers: 5% owned in Yahoo!
– Certainly not a great option, but with Eddie Royal‘s touchdown spree coming to a halt, Allen looks like the best Chargers receiver to have.
– So far most of his yardage has come in the second halves, but with San Diego likely to trail more often than not, that’s a trend that could continue.
Robert Woods, WR, Buffalo Bills: 31% owned in Yahoo!
– For the third time in four weeks, Woods surpassed 63 yards (and caught a career high five passes).
– He continues to outperform Stevie Johnson, and continues to build chemistry with fellow rookie EJ Manuel.
– He is at least a decent bye week play.
Andre Ellington, RB, Arizona Cardinals: 23% owned in Yahoo!
– According to the Cardinals coaching staff, Ellington is likely to play roughly 30 snaps a game.
– He continues to average over six yards per carry, and even on a snap count could offer enough production. He could also force the Cardinals to play him more…
Sean McGrath, TE, Kansas City Chiefs: 2% owned in Yahoo!
– While he seems to only be an injury fill-in for the Chiefs, he did have 54 yards on Sunday. It was his second week over 50, catching four passes in the process. As long as he’s in the starting lineup, he’s worth owning if you’re hard up at tight end or need a bye week fill in.
Think about it:
Josh Freeman, QB, Minnesota Vikings: 8% owned in Yahoo!
– While he was let go by the Buccaneers for good reason, he probably moves on to a better situation.
Nick Foles, QB, Philadelphia Eagles: 3% owned in Yahoo!
– Michael Vick has basically been ruled out for week six already, meaning Foles gets the start against the Bucs.
– Any quarterback playing the Bucs is a good start, those that have Desean Jackson to pass to, are even better starts.
TJ Yates, QB, Houston Texans: 0% owned in Yahoo!
– Don’t rush out to get him, but after Matt Schaub’s performance, it’s certainly possible the Texans give him “a week off”. Yates looked servieable in the playoffs two years ago and could succeed if given a shot.
Austin Pettis, WR, St. Louis Rams: 10% owned in Yahoo!